Saturday, April 5, 2008

So What Are You Going to do With Your Life?

Seeing as how I am going to be graduating this May, I have been getting this question a lot. I even got this question from some random waitress at an Applebee’s-type place a few months back. She was caring enough to inform me that my Bachelors in Psychology doesn’t really offer a lot of job opportunities without further education.

Which brings me to what has probably contributed to my sudden case of insomnia in the past week. I have been vacillating between either going to graduate school for clinical psychology or going to law school. I am fortunate enough to have a family that allows me to make my own decisions without feeling pressured to go in any particular direction. My Dad, whose opinion I value pretty much above everyone else’s, has told me that whatever I decide to do he will be there for me. I don’t know too many people who are lucky enough to have a dad like that. Unfortunately though, I am feeling tremendous pressure from my research professor to go in the direction of research-oriented clinical psych. This person, who we will call DG, conceives of plans for everyone including her “boyfriend’s” son who is 9; he will be going to a particular Ivy League he just doesn’t know it yet. I would go into why I know such intimate details about my academic superior but this post isn’t about DG; more on DG at a later date.

Okay, back to my future. I really think that I would feel fulfilled if I went to grad school for psych. I am fairly confident that I would do well in law school but I don’t think that my heart is really in it. I don’t want to be one of those people who just do something so that they can make money to enjoy other aspects of life. In the long run I think it is more important to do something you love rather than just work a job. I am taking a year off before applying to either school so that is helpful. One thing that I do feel confident about is that it is okay that I don’t already know what I want to do with my life. I am only 21 years old, I don’t really think I should have my entire life planned out yet. I don’t even know who I am completely and I have had over two decades to work on that. So that is where I am at right now.

Ahh fuck it, I just need a sugar daddy. Now there’s a profession for ya.

“So what do you do?”

“Oh I do an old guy and roll around in roller skates and hot pants. I am expecting him to croak soon. You’re a CPA right? How’s that going?”

“Fine, tax season is coming up so you know I’m pretty busy.”

Sorry, that was kinda random.

NEW FEATURE: I am gonna write what I am listening to as I write my posts so that you can get an idea of how ridiculously random my music tastes are.

Artist: Imogen Heap

3 comments:

Gina Marie said...

You bought roller skates for him? Good thing he has wood floors, it's really tricky to pull off the sexy rollergirl situation on carpet. I mean, I would imagine...

Daniel said...

And hot pants! Ahhhh I love it!

Liz said...

so remember how you said you wanted random people to read your blog? well, i posted a link to your blog on my blog, which my friend rachel from high school found and she sent me an email the other day saying that she's obsessed with your blog and thinks you're hilarious and she hasn't even met you :) (i'm sure she will eventually read this comment too...)