Monday, April 21, 2008

Nerd Fest ‘08

So this past week I was required to attend the Undergraduate Research Symposium. Last year I received a grant to run my own study under the guidance of DG. It has been a buttload of work and it all pretty much culminated on the poster I presented at the Symposium. Rather than being excited about showing all my hard work to like-minded nerds, I was more excited to rock my new suit. The last time I had to wear a suit was when I was at a nerd camp for kids who wanted to be doctors. Are we seeing a trend? Not to toot my own horn but I think I looked pretty snazzy. I couldn’t help but strut around Madison like the city was one big catwalk. I was pretty surprised at how well I knew the ins and outs of my study. DG was the quintessential stage mom during the whole thing. I am pretty sure we took over 20 pictures some of which were action shots of me describing the poster. Jesus H.

This past weekend I went out with the guys from the lab. We went to the Shammy as I now affectionately call it. I had a blast just hanging around talking with each other. I don’t really get the point of trying to pick someone up at the bar. What will become of it other than a one maybe two-night stand? Also, who knows what you could catch from some of the skeezes that frequent such establishments. I don’t mean to judge but I think it is fairly reasonable to assume that a guy who gets it on with multiple men isn’t exactly the poster child for a STI-free life. I guess when I imagine meeting someone, I think of it being in a sober setting rather than stumbling into some rando and asking, “Your place or mine?”

I have mad homework to do this week. A week from tomorrow I have both a paper and presentation due in my psychodynamic class. I should be working on it right now but I would much rather waste time on the Internet than actually face work. Huh turns out that in Microsoft word the word “Internet” is capitalized. I did not see that coming.

Artist: Tokyo Police Club

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

seeing as how I am commenting a mere one hour after you posted, it is clear that I am stalking your blog.

All I have to say is "your place or mine?" is the best *and most successful* pick up line ever. it's short and cannot be misinterpreted. whereas if you ask someone to dinner it could mean 1. you are hungry. 2. you want in their pants, and then you might as well use "your place.." or 3. they love you and want a serious and committed relationship. ha!

I say a compromise would work. like "how about dinner, your place or mine?" woah there. mindblowing.